Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rainbow Color Wheel Silhouettes


First we made 12 sections on our papers.
Then we added the primary colors. Red, blue, and yellow.
Next came secondary colors. Orange, green, and purple.
Last but not least, the tertiary colors, which we had to create by mixing the primary and secondary colors. We used watercolor pencils, so I had students lay down a layer of darker color first using lighter pressure and then add the lighter color over the first one.

We then used cotton swabs dipped in water to spread and mix the color around. Lastly, the silhouette profile and umbrella were added with a glue stick. Raindrops were added with black sharpie. The final step was to add white highlights

You could also just use a black and white profile photo printed out on paper and trimmed.

3 comments:

Art at Chesterbrook Academy Elementary School said...

Beautiful project.

Thanks for the tutorial

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What a beautiful color wheel project!

Julie F said...

I just stumbled onto your site. I love it!! Thanks for sharing your ideas. This color wheel is perfect for the art class I am teaching next week! I will be back soon I am sure. :o)